The first attempt for the introduction of a proper medical training was undertaken by Lord William Bentinck. As a fruit of his effort and long persuasion, government order was passed to set up a medical college in Calcutta which is known as Calcutta Medical College. As the resolution was passed on 28th January,1835, this day is observed as the Foundation Day of the College. What we see at the premises of Calcutta Medical College and Hospital, did not exist during the early period of its inception. An old house at the rear of the Hindu College was converted for use as the New Medical College.
This was used till the premises of the Petty Court Jail, the site of which included a part of the present building housing the Physiology and other departments and a part of the field to the north of Administrative Block, was ready for use. The first batch of the students numbered 50 and they received stipend from Rs.7 to 12 per month. The successful students after passing the final examination received certificates of qualification to practice Medicine and Surgery, and would receive pay as Native Doctors starting with Rs.30 per month, for being employed under government. With this, the books and apparatus of the abolished Native Institution was made over.
H.H.Goodeve - first Surgeon Professor
A group of illustrious band of teachers started conducting classes. The Head of the Institution was designated as Superintendent and then as Principal. Till today, this practice is being followed. There came a professor in Medicine and Anatomy and another professor in Chemistry and MaterialMedica. Two skeletons were purchased through M/S Bathgate & Company at a cost of Rs.1500. The anatomical preparations were imported from England. MJ Bramley was the first principal of the college and HH Goodeve was the first Surgeon professor.
It was Surgeon Goodeve who tried to convince the superstitious citizen of the need of dissection for cause of treatment. It was on 10th January,1836,Pandit Madhusudhan Gupata, Babus Uma Charan Sett, Dwarakanath Gupta, Raj Kristo Dey and Nabin Chunder Mitter secretly followed Dr. Goodevetoan outhouse of the college building and with the hands of Madhusudhan Gupta started dissection of a dead human body. This great day was recorded in the Annals of Western medicine in India when Indians rose superior to all prejudice and superstition and boldly flung open the gates of modern scientific medicine to their fellow countrymen.